Thursday, July 08, 2010

Encounter'd

I attended a session of D&D Encounters last night, going to the local gaming store with my girlfriend. I'd never been to this gaming store before, but she had; neither of us had played there before, however.

We wandered the store for a while, before we asked to sign up for Encounters proper, and looked at the products (an impressive selection! Lots of miniatures! Dice, dice, dice!). That's one thing you can't get online or at a big-box store - the variety of tools and shiny things that pertain to one specific aspect of one's geekery.

The actual Encounters experience was largely positive for both of us, though my girlfriend didn't enjoy her character (the fighter) as much as I did mine (the psion). We both kinda dug the Dark Sun campaign setting, and appreciated how it's a move away from standard fantasy, though we both decided that the setting's FallOut-esque post-apocalyptia was an acquired taste that we could, in time, acquire.

The group of people we gamed with were friendly and fun to play with - most had been playing at that table in Encounters since the start of the Dark Sun adventure, but one or two were just as new as us.

All in all, we both thought it'd be worth trying again - I'll probably try to give it a go at the gaming store closer to my school, and my GF might give it a go if her usual D&D group goes on hiatus again, plus or minus when the Dark Sun stuff ends and they go on to the next set of encounters.

No comments: