Thursday, June 24, 2010

Frantic Frenetic Final Fight

I just finished The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and that's what I'm going to talk about - if you haven't finished it, then be warned, there may be spoilers ahead.

The final boss rush had some frustrating moments (protecting Zelda from Malladus' meteors was tough, as was playing the flute - but I think that's because my DS' microphone is messed up). But the final, final blow, where Link and Zelda have to pierce Malladus' crystal, was a wonderful moment, because I got into it. I was rubbing the screen very hard, wanting Zelda to hurry to assist me, and I was pretty desperate to finish the fight - I was out of purple potions by this point. The fact that we're staring the big bad guy down while we're exercising our (that is, the player's) strength to destroy his head-crystal is also pretty darn awesome.

That all said, the entire final fight was beautifully done - a combination of almost all the skills that the player has picked up, excluding the individual tools (and that might be okay, since the bosses that are weak to Link's tools are replayed through the enemy-rush minigame back in Castle Town). Train combat, sword fights, Phantom usage, even the flute bit, all serve as a kind of 'greatest hits' montage within the final fight, and it serves very nicely, very nicely indeed.

No comments: